• Tameside Handyman Service

    Plumbing - Electrical - Yale Wireless Alarms - Power Washing - Painting - Gutter Clearing


    Check out my availability and book a slot
     click here to book online

    John Sweet
    Tameside Handyman

  • Building Regs

  • Why do I limit the type of electrical work I will do? :

    The reason is that Part 'P' of the Building Regulations quite rightly stipulates that some electrical work is "notifiable" to the local planning officer and requires signing off by a qualified person.

    From April 2013 electrical work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings, is 'notifiable' where the work includes:

    • the installation of a new circuit.


    • the replacement of a consumer unit (fuse box);


    • any alteration or addition to an existing circuit in a special location*

    *A special location is a room containing a bath or shower, swimming pool or a sauna heater.

    So what electrical work can I do ?:

    The ten building control authorities within Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Salford, Manchester, Trafford, Wigan, Stockport, Tameside and Oldham) have all agreed to manage the requirements in a similar way. 

    • As a result I can do the following work without it needing to be notified to the local planning officer;
    • Replacing a socket outlet - (Anywhere in the property)
    • Replacing a light switch - (Anywhere in the property)
    • Replacing a light fitting - (Anywhere in the property)
    • Replacing a light bulb - (Anywhere in the property)
    • Connecting a cooker to an existing connection unit
    • Installing additional socket or light fitting - (Except in Kitchens & Bathrooms)